So how do you go about building a website when you have no website design skills? Let’s look at your options.
- Outsource the development of your website. This could cost you anywhere from $750 – $2000 depending on the requirements and skill level of the person or team you are hiring. I can recommend someone that understands this industry if you’d like.
- You could try to figure out website development on your own and learn how to get your own website hosting account, how to install the wordpress website building platform on it, how to install a theme, how to edit the theme, etc.. but by the time you get anywhere close you’ll have missed out on thousands of dollars of income and lost time.
- You can use a drag and drop builder like one of the ones below that charge a small monthly fee:
- Within the next couple months I will be releasing some pre-made websites specifically for gutter cleaning businesses that will be available to the Inner Circle Members to use for their gutter cleaning businesses.
For most, I would recommend getting started with a quick landing page to get on your feet right away. I will describe this process next.
Creating a Landing Page
Now that you have your domain name, you want to create a landing page to connect it to. This landing page will display your company information, information about the services that you offer and a way for them to quickly get in touch with you for a free quote.
The service that I have used and highly recommend is InstaPage. InstaPage is a drag and drop landing page builder that I have been using from the very beginning for my clients and for myself. You can see an example landing page that my client uses here: https://lp.guttercleaningclearwater.com/ .
If you decide to go with InstaPage, you can use the provided templates that I have available for you with this course. Simply import them and customize them for your gutter cleaning business. I will also be providing many logo options that you can use for your company as well. If you want to get started even quicker and don’t have the ability to edit the original logo files, then the second best option is to make your logo be simple text and add a relevant icon to the left of it.
The landing pages that I am providing for you to import are not the most amazing designed landing pages. No, they are landing pages that have proven to work and convert traffic into leads. I have seen people pay thousands of dollars for custom designed landing pages that look like they were made for Oprah herself that have done worse than my simple landing pages. Remember, it’s not all about design, it’s about the leads that the design generates from website visitors.
I will go over additional reasons why I originally chose to go with InstaPage later on in this course when we go over paid online advertising. For now, let’s focus on setting up your first landing page for your new gutter cleaning business and getting it LIVE. Take a look at the following video where I show you how to use instapage, create and customize your first landing page, how to connect it to your domain name and setup email.
- Importing & Customizing a Landing Page
- Connecting Domain & Publishing Pages
- Setting Up Thank You Page
Making a Great Website
If you decide you want to go the full blown website route from the get go, I want to make sure you understand what makes a good website that does a good job at converting website visitors into leads. You will notice that this describes the landing page design/setups that I use and have made available for you as well.
- Your logo or company name on the top left that makes it clear who you are to the visitor.
- Your phone number on the top right in a way that stands out bold and clear. Most people will be searching for your phone number in this area. Don’t just put the number there, but also add a call to action next to it. A call to action is a phrase that tells the person what to do, in this case, to call you. Some call to action examples are:
- Call Now
- Call Us For A Free Quote
- Call Today For A Free Quote
- Same Day Quotes – Call Now
- Under this main headline area, you want to have a headline and sub-headline that clearly describes what you do and puts it in an enticing way to push the visitor to get in touch with you. They say you have about 7 seconds to answer the question that is on the visitors mind before they leave to another site searching for their answer. This is the job of this headline. To answer their immediate questions, or to prove that they are at the right place where they will find their answers. If the visitor is looking for gutter cleaning or repair, the headline should make that clear. If they are looking for pricing and your website doesn’t display that information, at least saying that you give free same day quotes should be enough for them to submit their information to get that answer.
- Many people are visual so you want to use great images. In fact, many people might not want to read at all and will judge whether they are at the right place based on the images. I like to use either a good before/after image of a gutter cleaning, or an in the process image. A good way to use images is as a slider behind headline text, or under the headline next to a contact form to push them to the form.
- You want to add a contact form on the main page of the website above the fold. So they see it without having to scroll down. The best place to put it is on the right side of the page to increase leads. You want to keep forms as short as possible. The less input you require the greater the chances of someone filling it out. I like to keep it to a maximum of four input fields.
- Add testimonials to the front page and on it’s own separate page.
- Visually list your services. On a full blown website you want a page dedicated to each service.
- On every page that you create for your website you want there to be a free quote form. Always push them to submit their information for a free quote no matter what page they are on.
- Have a page dedicated to a free quote form.
- Service area page is relevant.
- About page talking about your company, what makes you a good choice, your history, etc. If you don’t have any, make something up that doesn’t cross any legal boundaries.
- Linking to your social media accounts is a great trust building tool. Do not link to them if they are completely empty, this will only hurt you. Take the time to first fill out your profiles with good images, content, and some reviews before linking to them from your website. You will find some social media customizable images in this course.
- Create 250 to 500 word articles for each inside page on your website and make sure it is original content. Do not use duplicate content that you copied from somewhere because Google will punish your site for it and you will hurt your chances at ranking well in Google.
- You want your website to build trust and give the local business feel. So as soon as you have some branded materials like clothing and your vehicle, take pictures of the vehicle, someone wearing your apparel doing some work, basically anything that pushes your brand and makes you look legitimate in the eyes of the visitor. You’d be surprised how much appearance matters.
- The website must be mobile responsive. We live in a mobile world where mobile internet traffic has exceeded desktop internet use. This means that the majority of the visitors to your website will be from mobile devices. Make sure your website is mobile responsive.
Once your website is up we can move onto marketing it. Don’t expect to get any business from your website until you start marketing it. A website without marketing is like a printed billboard that doesn’t go up. If you would like help getting a great SEO friendly website setup that converts well, get in touch with me on the support page and I will recommend a great company that understands this market. Let’s talk about marketing next.